While the jury is still out and there is limited data to support many dietary recommendations, many women support the belief that diet and foods can affect the vaginal flora. Here are some basics for your reference
- Maintain a healthy well balanced diet and Limit junk and processed food
- Eating probiotics and yogurt may support a healthy vaginal ph
- Cranberries act to acidify the urine and perhaps balance the pH of the vaginal area. Choose pure, unsweetened cranberry juice or eat fresh cranberries
- According to common folklore, Garlic has been known for its antimicrobial and antifungal properties. Some have advocated, (no large scientific studies report any efficacy) a garlic vaginal suppository which can kill the yeasts and may act to soothes the symptoms itchiness, and pain. Simply insert a clove of fresh, peeled garlic into your vagina and leave it overnight.
- Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. Vitamin C and leafy greens are important. Avocado which is rich in vitamins is also a must.
- Nuts rich in vitamin E can also help reduce vaginal dryness.
- Drink water and then drink some more. Adequate hydration is a must.
If your vagina has a strong or unpleasant odor, please see a health care professional to get a proper diagnosis. Self medicating with over the counter products can be problematic and may make the issue worse. Do ont over use over the counter cures!