How to Cool Off Without Powder
Most are feeling the heat this time of year. Although air conditioning can keep you feeling cool and comfortable, there are times when the AC is not working or within range. If you’re outdoors or without an efficient air conditioner, below are a dozen tips to help you be as cool as possible during the heat wave…
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. You will need more water intake if you’re sweating a lot. Adding lemon, cucumber or mint leaves to water may help you drink more throughout the day.
- Wear looser more breathable fabrics like cotton, including underwear. 100% cotton clothing will breathe better than clothing made with synthetic materials. Light-colored clothing will help, too.
- Stay indoors or in the shade during the hottest hours of the day. If you are able, use a fan to increase air flow around you to add a breeze for some relief. Save strenuous activities for the coolest hours of the day or for another day entirely.
- Avoid or limit makeup during this period. Let your skin breathe and for your body to release the sweat to help naturally cool off a bit. Using a chilled cloth on your neck, forehead, arms or legs can help your skin cool off. Even spritzing yourself with cool water will provide an instant cooling effect.
- Consider using Lubrigyn – Lubrigyn Cleansing Lotion ® is a silky cream-based product that cleans gently “by affinity” without irritating your delicate skin. In fact, it can be used as an all-over body cleaner. The aloe and other natural active ingredients in it can help leave your skin feeling silky smooth, moisturized and refreshed.
- Consider taking a dip in the pool or finding relief in a bath or with a cold shower. You could even soak your feet in a bucket of cold water for similar effects. If you go for a swim, rinse yourself off once you’re out of the water to remove chlorine or salt.
- Place skincare products in the refrigerator so that they are cool when you apply them. Another idea is to put jewelry in the freezer before an evening out as this will help you to feel the coolness for a while after putting on the jewelry.
- Enjoy frozen treats throughout the day. Frozen fruit is great as it will not only help to provide some cooling relief, but it will be nutritious and nourish your body with vital nutrients. Grapes and berries are good options to freeze for a cool treat. Cold watermelon is also a refreshing, timely treat.
- Now is the right time to skip cooking and enjoy cool, fresh, raw foods – think salads, produce and even cold sandwiches. Along this line, it is best to avoid or limit caffeine and alcohol during the hot days because they can dehydrate you and/or raise your body temperature.
- In your home, keep blinds and curtains closed, and open your windows at night. If you have a fan or floor fan, use them strategically to draw the hot air up and out. In addition, turning off all heat sources will help keep your home as cool as possible.
- Going barefoot is another way to keep your body cooler on extremely hot and humid days. Wearing shoes and socks can make your feet sweat, raising your body temperature, so toss the shoes and go barefoot or wear flipflops.
- Use the right sheets to sleep comfortably and stay cool. Satin, cotton and silk sheets will feel cooler and smoother to your skin and help provide a good night’s sleep even on the steamiest nights of the season.